What I DO NOT do:
- I will support you during your pregnancy, labor, and postpartum period, supporting the decisions you and your family make together, whatever those decisions may be.
- I will provide you with up-to-date information so that you will be able to make your own informed decisions.
- I will answer your questions best to my ability, if I don't have an answer, I will research and find you an answer and get back to you in a timely manner.
- I will strive to support you completely during your labor to ensure a positive birth experience and to help you to achieve the type of birth that you wouuld like.
- I will be working for you, and your partner only. I do not work for your doctor or the hospital.
What I DO NOT do:
- Preform any medical tasks what so ever.
- The presence of a doula lifts the sole responsibility of the labor off the shoulders of your partner, allowing him to enjoy the whole birth process. I can help your partner to feel calm and informed, giving him ideas to continue support from beginning to end. At no time will I "take over" or deliberately exclude your partner. I am there to provide support to both of you at all times. Sometimes a partner likes to stay by the mother’s side during the whole of labor, while others prefer to take a break. This is your birth experience and it is important that you feel free to decide on what you want at the time.
- I will be on-call 2 weeks prior to your "guess" date, up until labor begins. This means that I will have my phone on me at all times 24-hours a day, and will not leave town with out informing you unless it is an emergency. In case of emergency, I will have another doula in line for your labor.
- I will draw on my knowledge and experience to provide emotional support, physical comfort, and communicate with the medical staff to make sure you have the information you need to make informed decisions during labor.
- I will do my best to reassure you during labor and help you feel at ease during this whole process. I can make suggestions to what may help you feel more comfortable as well.
- I can help you construct a birth plan and show you some examples of what they may look like.
- I will be available over phone and e-mail before labor begins to answer any questions or concerns that you have.
- I will remain with you once active labor has begun until one to two hours after your baby is born. I may take short breaks for meals and rest if time allows – this will be discussed with you at the time and I will not leave you if it is inappropriate.
- I will strive to maintain a calm and relaxing for environment.
- I will be available via phone or e-mail postpartum for any questions that arise.
- You will tour the hospital that you plan to give birth at.
- You will write a birth plan and discuss it with your doctor.
- You will call me as soon as you think you could possibly be in labor, even if you are not sure. This way I can make any arrangements in order to attend your birth.
- A deposit will be required at your first prenatal appointment upon deciding to hire me as your doula.